-->

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 18, 2014

How I Developed My Characters in Cedar Woman - Part IV

Now, the final three of the main characters: in many ways, character construction and development is one of the most fun parts of writing a novel for me.  I think about my characters a lot, as if they really live and breathe.  I think to myself, would he really do that? Or, how would she react to this?  To me they are real, and I find myself, even after a book is completed, thinking about them as if they were friends who I haven’t seen in a while.

That said, here we go.

Boy Lad: I modeled him after a man named Ruben.  I wanted someone who is serious, deep and somewhat shy; a man who, when he speaks, you listen.  Boy Lad’s feelings run deep and true. This is a man who finds his footing and never stumbles.

Logan Singing Grass Young Bear:   sweet Logan is a composite of my son Christopher and Jules’ son Logan who, since Hunkapi, is also my son. Like my son Christopher, he is born with a special problem, and like both of the boys, he is a creative soul.  Logan brings lightness to the book, and there are instances where, I promise, you will laugh out loud. 

Grandmother Nancy is not a main character.  In fact, she is mentioned only once in chapter one.  I remember when I gave her Cedar Woman, gifting it with my left hand, the hand closest to my heart.  Her eyes welled up, she smiled that sweet smile of hers, and was so very happy that I thought to include her.

Since that time, Grandmother Nancy has made the journey.  I will miss her at powwow. I’ll miss the way she would tear up at the site of a child, of a couple in love, or of something beautiful.  She was a dear, sweet soul, who will leave and open space where her smile, her heart, once lived.  Therefore, I had to include her in this list.

Next week, I will talk about how I chose the locations used in Cedar Woman.  I hope you are enjoying this insight into Cedar Woman as much as I am enjoying sharing it with you.

Toksa Ake Wakan Tanka Nici Un - Walk With God

http://goo.gl/7u3CoJ

No comments:

Post a Comment