-->

Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2014

How I Developed My Characters in Cedar Woman - Part II

One of the advantages to writing a book is you get to pull from your own experiences, family and friends.  Cedar Woman is full of such instances.

I shared how I developed the first four main characters in Cedar Woman, and am happy to share with you the next four.

Joseph and Mary Countryman are my maternal grandparents.  Countryman is a family name which I used, not only because I find it beautiful, but to honor my ancestors as well.  My family has been in Southern Ohio since the late 1780s.

Dean and Nellie Countryman were based on my aunt and uncle, Dean being one of my mother’s siblings.  Their personalities are based on my kin, especially Nellie, who was known for her sweet nature.  They are described to a tee in Cedar Woman and when reading it, Uncle Dean, I was told, glowed with happiness.

Nickie Greene, based on my childhood friend Joan, plays a small but important part in Cedar Woman.  She will be the main character in the sequel, Woman Who Sees in Both Worlds (subtitle) Ista Numpa.  Nickie is a faithful friend who finds herself tied to the tail of a kite.  The ride is not always a pleasant one.  I needed a character who may swerve, but always returns to the path.

The Hummingbird – I love hummingbirds.  He serves a purpose that I can’t reveal here, but he is based on a true story.

Feel free to ask any questions.  I'd love to hear from you!

If anyone has an idea for Ista Numpa's title, other than the one I have mentioned, feel free to suggest one.

Tomorrow, you will meet the next four – I promise, you will not want to miss it.

Toksa Ake Wakan Tanka Nici Un - Walk With God

http://goo.gl/7u3CoJ

No comments:

Post a Comment