-->

Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2016



Today we honor our men and women who have fought to keep us, not only free, but safe as well.

My thoughts go to my late father, Private George Edgar "Eddie" Shiveley - 104 Infantry Division, Timberwolf Pups. He landed on the beaches of Normandy, helped to liberate Middle-Bau Dora at the cost of a happy future life. He never exorcised the horrors he had seen, but did the best that he could.
It is men and women like my father who we should honor, not just today, but every day of our lives.

Wearin’ The Green

He lay back wearily upon pillows piled high,
His once bright eyes dull with pain.
A weak smile pulled at his lips as shaking hand
Cleaved through once abundant hair,
Now thinned by toxic treatments.
"Now listen to me, Dottir.
There’s things ya be needin’ ta know,
About where yer people come from –
And land so green, it would tear yer heart.
Dottir, stop yer cryin’! We must be partin’ soon.
And if ya be wantin’ to remember me - I can tell ya the way.
So hush. Hush. Hush.
Dottir, remember your roots!
And every year – be wearin’ the green!
Wear it with pride, girl – yer head held high,
For it’s poets ya come from,
Aye - and great men and women too,
Who would not be held down!
And don’t ye be, girl. Don’t ye be.”

Dottir

I love you, Da.

No comments:

Post a Comment